Empowering Students Universally Scholars, Inc.
Board of Directors
Broad of Directors
Director: Dr. Jada Meeks, University of Memphis
Darrell Jackson, Director Human Resources, Rite Hite Inc.
Treasurer: Dr. Janet Malone, Educator, Shelby County Schools
ESU Scholars History
Empowering Scholars University Scholars, Inc. History
Empowering Students Universally, Inc. was established on August 1, 2005 in Memphis, Tennessee. With the formulation of community partnerships, 25 high school students in grades 9 thru 11 have participated in career and college planning on a monthly basis. The students participated in internships and job shadow opportunities at a local law office, Methodist South Hospital, and the Commercial Appeal.
The Scholars also participated in the ESU college tour in July 2006. The scholars toured Fisk University, Meharry Medical College, Emory University, Georgia Tech, Spelman college and Morehouse College.
Jada Shipp Meeks is the Director of the program and works with other community agencies to effectively implement the program. Southwest Community college and Greater Paradise Baptist Church partnered with ESU Scholars in 2006 by providing space for workshops and computer access.
The scholars participated in community service with the National Coalition of Women in Ministry's Esther Award Banquet as host and hostesses. They also served as escorts for the Commercial Appeal's Best Preps: Awards Banquet.
In 2007 the program expanded and moved its workshops to the Hamilton Community Center in Memphis, Tennessee serving over 70 students in grades 6 thru 12. Students from public, private and charter schools.
The students toured the following colleges in 2007: Ole Miss, Jackson State University, Southern Methodist University, University of Dallas, Mississippi State University, Belhaven College, Dallas Baptist University and DeVry University.
• 25 students, toured 12 colleges in: Nashville, Atlanta,
• 70 Students: public, private, and charter schools, Toured 8
colleges: Jackson, MS & Dallas, TX
• 100 Students Chicago, Illinois Kellman Corporate School
• 125 Students Chicago Illinois Kellman Corporate School
2009 Sabbatical Dissertation Year
2010 10 Scholars Summer Only
• First College Prep Conference Springhill Suites
30 Students July
• Second College Prep Conference 32 Students December
• First Awards Luncheon Holiday Inn May 2012
• Third College Prep Conference 35 Students July 2012
• Fourth College Prep Conference 82 Students
• Second Awards Luncheon
• Fifth College Prep Conference
• Third Awards Luncheon
• Sixth College Prep Conference
• Seventh Awards Luncheon
• Seventh College Prep Conference
• Eighth Awards Luncheon
• Eighth College Prep Conference
Advisory Council Established
• Ninth College Prep Conference
• Tenth College Prep Conference
ESU Scholars, Inc. is a 501c3 Organization.
To help us get more donations please click below.